The FEI Scios DualBeam FIB/SEM system is a combination of two systems: a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and a gallium Focused Ion Beam (FIB) system. While the SEM produces high resolution images of a variety of samples, the FIB is capable of precise site-specific milling of the specimen materials at room temperature and cryogenic temperature, revealing the structure under the surface layer, making cross sections, preparing TEM lamella, depositing Platinum layers, measuring Electron Beam-Induced Current (EBIC), etc. It is equipped with ETD, BSE (T1), SE (T2), and ICE imaging detectors, as well as a Bruker Quantax 400 EDX detector. The system also offers a few software application packages, such as the AutoSlice and View G3 extended package and Avizo/Amira data analysis and visualization package.
- Maximum accelerating voltage: 30 keV
- SEM resolution: ~1 nm
- Smallest x-y milling: ~50 nm
- Maximum milling depth: ~20-100 μm
- The imaging/milling service on the FEI Scois dual beam system is performed by Nano3 staff.
- Customers need to submit the service request through email to Zhicheng Long (email@example.com). Please include the following information in the email.
- Customer's contact info.
- Sample info, including materials, thin film structures, previous SEM images.
- Reference papers or tech reports.
- What FIB/SEM services are you interested in?
- Cross sectioning
- TEM lamella preparation
- Automated FIB tomography
- Pt deposition
- FIB at Cryo temperature
- Nano3 staff will review the request and email back if there are additional questions. Nano3 staff may set up a virtual meeting or phone call to discuss details. Please be aware of additional staff time charges beyond the initial virtual/phone meeting.
- It is recommended that customers prepare samples themselves,
especially for biological specimens. Nano3 may offer services
for sample preparations. Please discuss details with Nano3 staff. Please be aware of additional staff assisted charges for sample preparation.
- Turnaround time is project dependent. Nano3 staff will reply within 24 hours either for additional information or confirmation of receiving samples being mailed to us. Please be aware that our Scios FIB is extremely busy, so the turnaround time may be affected when the tool is fully booked.
- Rates can be found at
- Disclaimer: Nano3 staff cannot guarantee the outcome. There is a possibility that Nano3 staff might not be able to find the feature of interest if the samples are not well prepared. Nano3 staff will keep you updated during the service session, but you will still be charged for the time spent on your sample even if Nano3 staff could not find the feature of interest.
Nano3's FIB/SEM is located in
Atkinson Hall, Room 1420.
If you have questions please email Dr. Zhicheng Long at firstname.lastname@example.org.